May 6, 2016 · 4:48 pm
1) Yeah, I’d say the Lister Block is pretty damn awesome. The white terracotta and brown brick make it look like an edible piece of cake.
2) The Medical Arts building is a work of art. How awesome are those urns?
3) Stanley Roscoe’s City Hall. A building too beautiful for bureaucracy.
4) The brutalist Hamilton Place. A gothic-inspired fortress on the exterior. A visually and acoustically masterful interior.
5) Treble Hall: A facade that makes you stop and stare. Also, can you say Wine Bar?
6) The city’s first and best Skyscraper, the Pigott Building. Anybody want to split on a penthouse?
7) Stelco Tower might be rusty (thanks to stelcoloy), but it is still one badass building.
8) It might be a copycat. Honestly though, who cares? The Landed Banking and Loan Company Building is one special piece of architecture.
9) The Right House is more than just alright. It’s allllll right (bad joke).
10) The Hamilton Public Library Central Branch and The Farmers Market. Books and Food. Concrete and glass. Nuff said.
11) We have a freaking castle. (Dundurn Castle)
12) A FREAKING CASTLE.
13) OH HEY LOOK IT’S ANOTHER CASTLE. (Scottish Rite)
14) We all have a love/hate for the city’s tallest building, 100 Main.
15) All white Victoria Hall. A facade that makes you happy.
16) The Royal Connaught. A lobby suitable for Royalty. We won’t talk about the rest of the development though.
17) Can we please get this building designated? (The Coppley Building)
18) The TH&B Go Station: An Art Dec(G)o beauty.
19) Liuna Station is perfect. Look at the garden. Look at those columns. The curtains inside the halls? Versace.
20) Let’s just admire this for a second. (Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King)
Filed under Architecture, Entertainment, Uncategorized
Tagged as #HamOnt, #heritage, 100 main, Architecure, buzzfeed, christ the king, City Hall, Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, hamilton go, Hamilton Place, Lister Block, photography, Rebuild Hamilton, Royal Connaught, scottish right, the coppley building, the landed banking and loan company building, the pigott building, Treble Hall, Victoria Hall
6 responses to “20 buildings that make Hamilton so great”
Excellent post! Nicely stated. Outside of the top 20 I would throw in Hamilton Conservatory for the arts and Whitehern house, Custom House and Liuna Station.
No Custom House….? Seriously?
A great post about some awesome Hamilton buildings. I remember when the Lister Block was in shambles as well as the Royal Connaught. Hamilton is bouncing back as a dynamic hub! Innovation, entreprenuerism, arts, health, architecture…Hamilton has it all. Hamilton was a great place to start my business too, GoWrench Auto. We do mobile auto repairs! Check out a local born startup here in Hamilton if you like :) http://www.GoWrenchAuto.com
Pingback: 48 hours in Hamilton, Ontario - 15 Miles
So great to see the energy in Hamilton. These buildings are staples of the past and the future. Terrific!
I’d also like to add Central Library, Farmers Market and the parking facility attached. Great brutalist architecture. And the Ports building, which, like the Go Depot, is beautiful clean art deco. I can keep going. The historical buildings on Gore Park, which are experiencing refurbishing, will grace the park even more.